Tuesday 18 July 2017

Stuff I made for Livestock Niagara

I've been working with Rakif, making videos for Livestock Niagara, almost since last years Festival.  If you don't know it's a great free art & music festival that really is rooted in the community. This year the festival is spread over a bigger area and there are more things to do. 
 
But, this isn't a commercial for livestock, they are below. In this post I wanted to ramble a bit about how they where made.  Not technical stuff,  just a line or two about each one. 

If  I where a bit more self important I'd call it "directors commentary". But I'm not, so I won't and you won't have to be disappointed. 
 
 
This is the funny one, and the newest one.  https://youtu.be/1CVYGr1pp7c
It's an FAQ or Q&A type piece. We came up with the idea when we where working on plans for some of the other videos. Raf made a joke, and I laughed and then said "We could totally make that". It had the working title "Ask Tiny Cat" the finished version doesn't have as much of the cat (who's name is "tiny Cat") as the original, but she's still very much at heart of the story. I wouldn't be surprised if tiny cat made her way into a future project.


https://youtu.be/_02PQRXYks4 
This is one was done off the cuff while shooting the Tiny Cat project. We where shooting Rafik's opening piece to the camera & he said " we should do a video of me just walking down the street talking to the camera"  I think I said something like "if we're going to do it we should do it now before the sun goes down"   So we finished the scene & walked around the corner & started shooting.   If it looks like Raf is  just having a conversation with camera/audience it's because he is. He did it in one take, no script, no rehearsals and he nailed it.  


Pretty much 'does what it says on the tin'  created to keep the festival in peoples attention between the launch party and the big media push in the last few weeks before the festival. This one was hard to get to where I wanted it. It's similar in purpose to the save the date one, but it's very different in style.  In fact it felt at first that it had no style, it was just a series of clips.  Eventually with some stylistic elements and some colour grading it came into it's own. The thing that really started to bring it together and inspire the other ideas was the great music track that Raf picked out.



Next are 3 videos from the Launch Party.


Launch Party Concert Footage  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up0fsuLDNUYy
Launch Party Setup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVW7ZbIX4MY

The launch party was a fun shoot, but a long one with lots of footage. I have enough footage left over to make 3 more videos. 
The time-lapse is from a second camera setup in the corner taking stills over & over throughout the night.  I've done some time-lapse, hyper-lapse and even a seasonal time-lapse (The Mega-Lapse Project - should get posted in the winter) , this was definitely the biggest single day lime-lapse I've done.



Tag Livestockniagara. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvGGIZ3wRLI
A quick little clip from last years years festival to help remind people to tag the festival on social media posts .


Launch Party Promo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5K19e-x4x8
Definitely the most "Rockin" one of the bunch. My Favourite part of this is the audio at the end with the chicks chirping and the kid laughing. Which is and recording I made years ago of Mackenzie with week old chicks. That's why I keep almost everything I shoot or record, because you never know when it'll be just right for a project.



Save The Date Promo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9pNrnnoSW8
This one reminds me how we can be inspired without realizing it.  about half way through making this I realized I was using a style I saw in my day job. We didn't use it there, because it didn't fit what we where working on. But it turned up in this piece unintentionally, and the project at work... it ended up with something very similar to a piece from last years livestock.

No comments:

Post a Comment